CCA Florida STAR
CCA Florida STAR, presented by Yamaha
It’s the largest family-friendly saltwater fishing competition in Florida, and it’s unlike traditional fishing tournaments.
May 25, 2019 - Sep 02, 2019
Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day
As the largest family-friendly saltwater fishing competition in Florida, CCA Florida STAR presented by Yamaha, runs from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day and boasts amazing prizes for anglers of all ages and skill levels.
A unique combination of conservation, data collection and education, plus prizes and scholarships valued at over $500,000, makes CCA Florida STAR the state’s can’t-miss summer-long fishing competition. No other fishing tournament in Florida has the ability to engage anglers of all ages and experience levels, including non-anglers who can participate and win simply by collecting trash and debris.
Developed by CCA Texas and CCA Louisiana, the STAR competition launched in Florida in 2015 with a focus on technology and conservation. STAR uses the social media-based event to educate the public on the importance of protecting Florida’s marine resources. Recognized as a ‘catch, photo and release’ competition, STAR’s smart phone app eliminates the requirement for anglers to harvest or capture and transport fish and constantly promotes the proper handling of all species in the competition.
The 101-day, family friendly angling competition offers over $500,000 in prizes in 17 divisions including tagged, non-tagged, inshore and offshore. Anglers have their shot at prizes from brand new boat, motor and trailer packages, cash, marine electronics, Yamaha motors, all-terrain vehicles, scholarships and much more.
The 2019 STAR competition includes:
- 2019 registered anglers winning a $1,000 prize package for catching a tagged fish from 2015-2018
- Continued free registration for current New Tide Members (CCA members) ages 6 – 17
- Confirmed prizes in the signature iHeart RadioTagged Redfish Division include a Contender Boats 22 Sport, a GMC Sierra pickup truck, a Pathfinder Boats 2200 TRS, a Hewes Redfisher 16, a 21’ Carolina Skiff and Relentless Boats Aluminum Bay/Flats boat, all powered by Yamaha Outboards. Prizes for the first two youth anglers in this division include two Carolina Skiff boats, powered with Yamaha 40 HP motors and trailers, Minn Kota trolling motor and Humminbird electronics.
- Tagged Dolphin Division (Mahi Mahi) – 20 tagged dolphin will be released in the coastal waters of Florida, with the first STAR registered CCA member who catches one eligible to win $10,000
- Divisions include:
- T H Marine Non-tagged Redfish Division – 1st place prize of a Salt Marsh Skiff 1656 with Atlas Jack Plate, 40 HP Yamaha, trailer and five additional prizes
- Stumpnocker Spotted Trout Division – 1st place prize of a Stumpnocker 17 tiller powered by a 40 HP Yamaha with Continental trailer and five additional prizes
- Piranha Boatworks Snook Division – 1st place prize of a Piranha RASO P140 with trailer & 15HP Yamaha and five additional prizes
- Tigress Outriggers & Gear Dolphin (Mahi Mahi) Division – XD Top Mount and XD Carbon Fiber Outrigger package and 115 HP Yamaha as the first place prize and five additional prizes
- Cannon Kingfish Division – 1st place prize of a Salt Marsh Savanna with trailer and 9 HP Yamaha with Cannon Unitrol STX-TS and five additional prizes
- Grouper Division (Black, Gag, Red and Scamp) – 1st place 115 HP Yamaha and 240-quart Engel Coller plus five additional prizes
- Humminbird Tarpon Division – one winner of a $10,000 prize package which includes Humminbird Solix 10 and Minn Kota Terrova. Winner will be determined by a random drawing of all catch photos entered. Eligibility requirements include proper handling of the catch.
- Old Town Kayak Division – 1st place prize of an Old Town Predator PDL Angler with pedal floor console and five additional prizes
- Ladies Division gives women their own prizes to compete for 1st place prize being a Body Glove Inflatable Kayak and five other prizes or they may compete in any of the other divisions
- Fly Division – 1st place prize of a LIVE Watersports L2 Fish paddleboard and five additional prizes
- Yamaha Guides Division for guides to compete in the Tagged Redfish and Tagged Dolphin Divisions with the first registered captain winning a 150 HP Yamaha and 2nd and 3rd place prizes
- Youth Scholarship Division presented by Academy Sports + Outdoors offers the opportunity to win one of 12 scholarships totaling $100,000 with eligible species including non-tagged redfish, spotted seatrout, snook, tarpon, dolphin (Mahi Mahi), grouper, kingfish plus ladyfish, jack crevalle and sheepshead.
- Power Pole Conservation Division encourages additional data collection of all species of fish caught during STAR with three prizes awarded
- Costa Kick Plastic Trash Division encourages trash and debris collection with three prizes awarded
- Lionfish Division helps with the removal of an invasive species and awards three prizes
Eligible species includes non-tagged redfish, spotted seatrout, snook, tarpon, dolphin (Mahi Mahi), grouper and kingfish.
Most division winners are determined by a random drawing of all photo entries which include the official West Marine STAR measuring device, not the biggest fish, a format that encourages participants of all ages to protect and conserve Florida’s fisheries for future generations.
For more information on STAR, or to register, visit ccaflstar.com.